Monday, March 23, 2009

Temples





A few weeks ago, a dear friend asked me about what my temple worship means to me. I wrote this in response, and she thought I should share it.

Ever since I was little, I was taught that someday, if I kept myself clean and worthy, I could go to the temple and make sacred covenants with God, and even be married to my husband. My parents went to the temple often, but the things that happen there are sacred so they are not to be talked about outside the temple. I grew up knowing that covenants are made there, that special temple clothing is worn, that I would make solemn covenants to serve the Lord.

However, I didn't know exactly what the ordinances and ceremonies would be like before I went for my first time last year. Usually we go to the temple for our first time when something very important in our life happens when we will need extra strength from the covenants that we make - for me and most women it is marriage, and for men it is usually their mission at age 19. We simply do not talk about temple ordinances outside of the temple - because of the sacred nature of the covenants and ceremonies performed.

I took a temple preparation class before I went to the temple for the first time. I learned about the history of temples and about the sacred nature of the covenants I would make. My first time going inside the temple beyond the baptismal font was very spiritual and sacred and emotional. I learned a lot. I did not know what exactly to expect, except that I would make covenants with the Lord. It was a beautiful, personal and intensely sacred experience!

In the scriptures, God often tells his people that we learn spiritual truths line upon line - little by little. I think that is why temple ordinances are not given to everyone in the world, only those who are prepared. Even when a new member joins our church, they are asked to wait at least one year before they go inside the temple to receive these ordinances. The temple is a place of learning and instruction for those who are ready. We believe that if this knowledge was given to those who are not prepared, it would actually be hurtful to them. Along this line, I think that we are comfortable being in the company of people who are like us. Someone who is not living like Christ - going about doing good, extending mercy and love, etc. - would not be comfortable being in his presence. We believe that we can truly feel God's presence in his temples - we believe that a temple is the Lord's house.

With the whole Big Love controversy, I realized that if people really want to know what goes on in our temples, they can find it out. Plenty of ex-members have published information and pictures of temple clothing on the internet and in anti-mormon books. That literature makes me feel a little sick. I think it is a tool of Satan to trivialize the most sacred things that God has given His children.

Going to the Draper Temple Dedication yesterday was a beautiful experience. Singing "The Spirit of God" at the dedication's close touched me deeply and I felt very close to heaven. I realized that nothing can hurt our sacred experiences at the temple if we choose to leave the world behind when we go there.


No comments:

Post a Comment